Thursday, May 29, 2014

Are you content?

I see folks everywhere around me who seem to have just about anything and everything they desire while I not only struggle to make ends meet but even the things that I do have are less than desirable and fail to meet up to others' standard of living.  I have to admit that I have found myself discontent, discouraged and perhaps even jealous.  Have you ever found yourself in that frame or state of mind....DISCONTENT?

While I know that none of those attributes are in the least bit Godly, those feelings seem to flood my soul way more than they should at times.  One of those times was this morning.  Then I felt the Lord gently nudge me to a place in his word that talks about contentment.

...and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness; from such withdraw thyself.

But godliness with contentment is great gain.

For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.

And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.

But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition.

For the love of money is the root of all evil; which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many arrows.

                                         1 Timothy 6:5b-10

Through this sixth chapter of 1 Timothy (please take the time to read it in it's entirety that you too can be blessed by what God has to say about contentment), God reminds me that our earthly goods should not play such an important role in our lives and that the things we have do not make us godly, but that godliness with contentment is GREAT gain.  

The things we have or don't have, they are just that...THINGS...and God does not consider them to be gain or godly. In my case, it's my attitude about the things I have or don't have that matters and I really must learn to count my blessings more often. For one, I possess the greatest thing of all...the truth of God's word...the doctrine and gospel of Jesus Christ which is able to save my soul.

Earthly riches will come and go but the gift of God is eternal and it's of the utmost importance that we don't allow our desire for earthly possessions to cause us to err from the faith.  Food and raiment is truly all we need. Anything more is either a blessing or possibly a curse.   

So if you find yourself discontent at times even perhaps jealous and discouraged, let the Lord say to you today that there is one thing more important than all worldly possessions...HIM....

So instead of seeking after the things of this world...which cannot make one happy or content, we are exhorted to...

But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
                                            Matthew 6:33

I have discovered by reading these scriptures today that I have MUCH to be thankful for.  There is no need for discontentment.  I have everything I need and more.  How about you?

1 comment:

NOTE:

This blog is dedicated to all things inspirational, with it's basis solely from the infallible, inerrant word of God. Unless otherwise posted all scripture references will be taken from the Kings James version of the Holy Bible. Some biblical material and docrinal views on this blog may be controversial in content. I ask when viewing this type of material that you open your heart solely to the word of God and allow his truth, as written in his word, to teach and guide you.
Blogging tips